Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lost In The Desert

This is the other half of the collaboration I posted the other day (here: http://spiralsinlove.blogspot.com/2011/02/art-exchange.html). That one was started by me and finished by my friend Shenna; this one was started by Shenna and finished by me. I got partway through finishing this one and wished I had gone another direction, so I might redraw her part and do this one again.

Another (much more successful) artist pointed out to me that I should be writing more when I post my art, that people might actually want to know what I was thinking about when I worked on something instead of me just throwing a picture up with a witty little comment. I balked at this initially for two reasons:

1. I can’t imagine anyone wants to hear about my insecurities and even if they did…

2. I would have to make another mental leap. It took me 15 years to get comfortable showing my art. Some people who see my art have made very insightful comments, recognizing that my little creatures must spring from somewhere inside me and represent aspects of my psyche whether I intend it or not. Burying those parts of myself in pictures is one thing, but actually talking about it means no more hiding behind the veil of misinterpretation.

Anyway, I’m going to try to write more when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment