Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Sky Opened Wide Like The Tide


Since I flat-out stole the title of this post from The Blow, I might as well get right to cribbing their lyrics as well:

when I find you tonight
I'll put you in my boat and away we'll ride
away from the city lights
to the place where the water makes the heavens and the earth collide

from "The Sky Opened Wide Like The Tide" by The Blow...click here to listen to it

I started these two paintings with a similar approach but slightly different goals. They both feature blue very heavily, something that I've been doing a lot of lately because those expanses of blue can represent the sky or the sea. The sky is second only to the sea in my book (I can stare at either for a long, long time and be perfectly happy), so I guess it makes sense that for this batch of paintings of two figures connecting in various ways that they're backed by something I see as comfortable and joyous.

To finish things off and give a little more attention to The Blow, here's a new video they made that has a lot of ocean so I am obliged to like it.

SUMMER 2011: The Blow (ASK ME demo version) by Melissa Dyne + Khaela Maricich from Dyne + Maricich on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment