Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Kangaroo In Love With The Sea


As usual, I put it off until the last minute but am hoping to complete my entry for this week's Underneath The Juniper Tree challenge "What Do You Have In Your Pocketses"(http://underneaththejunipertree.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-do-you-have-in-your-pocketses.html). I don't know if my entry is entirely in the spirit of the challenge, but they did say "Your character can be anything as long as it has pockets in which to have things. " My character is a kangaroo (which technically has a pouch) and inside its pocket are the tentacles of a lonely octopus.

Since there are only two or three species of kangaroo that can breathe underwater (and this is not one of them), theirs is a tale doomed to end in tragedy. Provided you think drowned kangaroos are tragic, which I do.


I started this painting as a doodle on a square-shaped scrap of paper, so the transition to the tall rectangular paper was awkward. I started out by making a complete mess with the paint because it was fun and then building layers on top of it as it was partially dried. So far I've added some fish and curling seaweed, followed by a wash of color. I would like to do this a few more times, but it all depends on how much I can get done before the midnight deadline.

And since I referenced it in the title of this post, here is the Stephen Merritt song "The Sailor In Love With The Sea" performed by Gary Numan and The 6ths.

Sigh and grow every day paler
Bowed by a mortal ennui
I fell in love with a sailor
A sailor in love with the sea

Cry like Elizabeth Taylor
Out on the end of the quay
I fell in love with a sailor
A sailor in love with the sea

No comments:

Post a Comment