Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I Make Sunshine


Sometimes you have to make your own sunshine. Sometimes it's a full-time job.


My son goes to a school with a sun-referencing name and they're having an auction soon (remember these?). He asked me if I could donate a painting of my own; I was game as long as he helped me with the idea. He described a race of alien creatures that looked like squat birds and in place of heads they each had a tiny sun.

A few years ago I drew the doodle above and wrote a corresponding poem based on Jonathan Richman's "I Eat With Gusto, Damn! You Bet". I'm taken with the idea of making your own light when the world gets dark, so I was especially happy to start in on the sun-headed aliens.

Because, uh, I make sunshine, damn! You bet

That sunshine comes for free!
You like the shade?
Then hang out there
But the sunshine? That's for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment