Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Do De Do Dull

Heart balloons. I haven't had much time to paint lately so I thought I would post some of my recent doodles. I don't doodle nearly as much as I used to, but lately it's been a fabulous way to relax without the commitment of a painting. The heart balloons above have been a constant in my life for the last few weeks as my daughter wants them on everything either of us draws.

This is a chicken with a flowery monster mask farting hearts. The little sea monsters around it are something I started doing again recently that I used to do everywhere. Not sea monsters necessarily, but a page filled with tiny creatures of similar design.


Rats were always a common theme when I would draw the tiny creatures. These are some kind of rat-human hybrid. Doodles like these are how I play with lines and facial expressions. The Spirals In Love series creatures don't have traditional eyes, but whenever I approach the face of a creature the eyes are central to my design.


More little monsters - some kind of skull-headed chickens or something, all watching a pig-man eat a flower. You can probably see that most of these doodles will never go beyond this stage. It's rare that something this directionless becomes a painting, but playing like this lets me quickly try out new things. For instance, the triangles floating above the heart/fart chicken made their way into a trading-card sized painting of tomatoes (that I'll post later) and I enjoyed the definition they added so much that I'll probably work them into a proper painting soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment