Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I Don't Want A Dog

Both of these paintings are experiments. This one was me wanting to play with a more uniform color palette and rounded shapes. I didn't intend to from the start, but as I worked on it I realized I was subconsciously trying to get a little of Robert Crumb's wildly curved landscapes and slightly too-floppy figures in the mix. I've always liked the results of the more creative artists who illustrated the reading primers I had as a kid where the cheapness of the publisher limited the artist to work within one or two colors.

This other painting has been sitting around for a while. I wasn't even going to finish it and then I thought it would be a good chance to play with really heavy lines. In the end I don't know that consistently heavy lines are something I'll revisit for a while, but working on this did remind me that it can be fun to vary the weight of the lines since I'm using a nib pen anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment