Friday, March 11, 2011

The Price Of Doing Business


Yesterday I mentioned possibly participating in another show. I just got the details and now I'm looking for a show of hands from anyone who reads this.

I've been asked to participate in an event hosted by RAW on Thursday, April 7. The show is a private art party with DJs, live music, a fashion show, and visual artists. My art would be highlighted by the DJ at some point in the evening, I would be featured in a video interview as well as being in the photos from the event.

http://www.rawartists.org/seattle/art

The most recent RAW Seattle event:
Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knCK9J99aHE
Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawartists/sets/72157626221381454/

The catch is that participation costs $200 (that, and I hate loud and crowded clubs). Since my work isn't very big or expensive, I would have to actually sell quite a few pieces to cover my costs. Some of that can be covered by me pre-selling tickets at $10 each. It was suggested that I post the link on my facebook page and then my hundreds of rich, outgoing friends would easily cover my costs. Except that I don't have a personal facebook page and only talk to about three people on a regular basis.

So it comes down to a question of someone wanting to back me (probably to take a loss) or promote the show on my behalf or some combination of both. I have 24 hours to get back to the director - if you or someone you know would actually buy tickets to a show like this, please shoot me an e-mail at spiralsinlove@gmail.com. I cringe at the idea of selling things to my friends, so please be honest about wanting to attend or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment