Thursday, March 17, 2011

We're Not Old, Old At All

I started the afternoon planning to work on a couple of happy paintings. I really did. But within minutes of working on them I was pulled away by this image that had been pulsing in my brain for most of the day. A couple of years ago I heard The Antlers' "Hospice" album for the first time and was completely drawn in. I'm a sucker for a cohesive concept album, and this was one of the best I had ever heard. It sets a mood and tells a story, and not a very happy one. I like my fiction to confront me and tear my guts out, and this album did that.



This painting is a very literal interpretation of the song that I think of as the turning point of the album - "Bear". I highly recommend listening to the entire album, but if you'd like to hear the song in question you can do so here:


No comments:

Post a Comment